This year, Michael and I have decided to change our eating habits for the better. The first thing we did was analyze our current diet. Does that sound like the approach of two engineers? :) What we found was shocking. For example, I thought that I was having a relatively healthy breakfast but look what I found:
Special K cereal: 10 grams of sugar
milk: 12 grams of sugar
Juice: 36 grams of sugar
__________________________
Total: 58 grams of sugar
Wow! I had no idea we ate this much sugar. And this is just breakfast. One of Michael's friends just lost 15 pounds on the Belly Fat Cure plan by Jorge Cruise. I am not one for diets but this plan suggests trading bad choices for good ones. This sounds reasonable. So I am looking for substitutes. So far I have traded almond milk for milk (0 sugar) and herbal tea for juice (0 sugar). I also substituted Shredded Wheat's Wheat and Bran which is edible; many of the sugar-free cereals are not. So my sugar is cut from 58 grams to 0 grams. This is an easy everyday substitution because my brain does not function until 9 am. So whatever I eat in the morning is purly necessity and not for pleasure. I am also trying to trade Truvia for sugar. While I am generally against artificial sweeteners since I am alergic to aspartame, I am willing to try this one because it is made from an actual plant - stevia. So, we are taking baby steps but are hoping for a leaner and healthier 2010. Any other ideas you have for good substitutions are welcome.
you are my wild
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment